Sunday, May 20, 2012

Whats for breakfast? - Eggs

I have problems being creative with breakfast, don't you?

I am not sure why perhaps my body is willing but the brain is not.  I get stuck in ruts, oatmeal, oatmeal, oatmeal, eggs and toast, eggs and biscuits, the breakfast wheel spins but doesn't get very far. Do you have the same problem?

I am always searching for something quick and easy to fix. While searching the web I came across the following recipe. It is quick, 30 minutes or less. I used my blender and through everything in except the cheese. OK I will tell you now I have a tendency to be very creative once I have a recipe. So I used Smoked Gouda Cheese rather than Cheddar. I wanted more comfort food than a wake-up call. The smoked Gouda sprinkled on the eggs just before rolling melts into the warm gooey mess that is like silk on the tong and slides down your throat and creates this warm satisfying feeling. It is a true comfort food. The smoked Gouda adds that feeling and enjoyment of bacon. The spinach is visible however the flavor is so delicate that it is not noticed and that is plus in my book.  There are 3 in my family and for the other 2 if it is green it had better be money, so anytime I can use a vegetable with out a fuss this is a good thing. 

Just as a reference as I go along I will post the cost of some of the items that I use.  I usually shop where I can get the best prices but for some things, like milk, I need it to last longer and what I have found is that Klinpeter's Whole Milk is at the top of the list for flavor and last past its expiration date. For things like sour cream, because I make 1/2 gallon at a time and the milk does not sit in the refrigerator I buy it at Sam's, 3.76 per gallon.

Today (May 20th, 2012)  the cost of 1/2 gallon Klinpeter milk is $3.99 at Rouses.
Grade 'A' Large Eggs at Sam's are $1.42 for 18.

I like Sam's because I can buy thing in bulk so you will always find at least 25 pounds of flour and 20 pounds of sugar in my pantry. 

Here you are the recipe that I am sure you will enjoy and be commenting on.


Family-Style Rolled Omelet with Spinach and Cheddar

Prep Time: 10 minutes | Cook Time: 20 minutes | Servings: Serves 4 | Difficulty: Easy

Ingredients:
Olive oil, for pan
1 cup milk
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (spooned and leveled)
6 large eggs
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
Coarse salt and ground pepper to taste
1 package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar (6 ounces) or Smoked Gouda

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a 10-by-15-inch rimmed baking sheet or jelly-roll pan. Line bottom of pan with parchment, spray with your favorite cooking spray, leaving a 1-inch overhang on the two shorter sides.
2. Defrost the spinach and remove as much water as possible.
3. In a bowl, whisk together milk and flour. Add eggs, mustard, spinach, salt, and pepper; blend to combine. Pour into pan.
4. Bake until edges of omelet are set, 10 to 12 minutes. Sprinkle with cheddar; bake until cheese has melted, 2 to 4 minutes. Beginning at one shorter end, lift parchment, and roll up omelet tightly, peeling back parchment as you go. Slice and serve.
Source: http://www.marthastewart.com/335400/family-style-rolled-omelet-with-spinach

I have done the omelet on several occasions lately, following the recipe to the letter and then with my twist.  Here are the pictures to prove it.

The above picture was when I put the spinach in the blender with every thing else.  You can see the difference between this omelet and sprinkling it in top of the egg mixture as the original directions called for.
In this one I added salsa and ham.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Looks fantastic! Shared it on face book and google.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I awarded you the Beautiful Blogger Award. You can pick it up here: http://astoryunraveled.blogspot.com/2012/05/beautiful-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete